This page has moved to a new address.

Where Were You On September 11? We Must Never Forget!

Bead Lovers Korner: Where Were You On September 11? We Must Never Forget!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where Were You On September 11? We Must Never Forget!

World Trade Center Twin Towers Landmark Bead

Where were you on 9-11-2001? 

That is a day and time I will never forget. I was working at Creative Catalog Concepts and was on the phone with Bobby Susser from New Hope Records, discussing a custom job we were doing for him. As I sat there on the phone, one of our Graphic Artists went into our "Break Area" and turned on the TV. I could see this from my desk and thought it was unusual since it was so early in the day. Then several other employees gathered and something sounded alarming so I asked Bobby to hold while I went to see what happened. The first plane, American Airlines Flight 11, had crashed into the North Tower. I got back on the phone with Bobby and told him what had happened and we ended the call. I stood there with the others and watched on live TV as the second plane, United Flight 175, crashed into the South Tower, not believing that this could be real and knowing that it was not an accident.

Shortly after that I called my husband, who works for an airline, and that was when he told me of the unprecedented grounding of all flights! As we heard of the other two Flights - American Airlines Flight 77 and United Flight 93, the knowledge of attack on the USA was prevalent in our minds and we all wondered what was happening!! The rest of the day was spent not doing a whole lot of anything except crying, watching the news and wondering what was next. No one wanted to work, the whole day was surreal and the skies were so quiet.

I will never forget this day, and my heart still aches for those who perished, those who lost loved ones and the brave Americans who dealt with this in their personal lives.

Where were you that day?.....
Each story, each thought and memory of that day will keep those who perished and those who suffered alive in our hearts and minds. Please share your story.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At September 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM , Anonymous Matthew Hoffman said...

On Sept 11, 2001, I had just started a new job at Sprint in New Jersey. Sprint, like most phone companies in that area, had signal towers on top of the one of the Twin Towers. Back in those days, people were not routinely connected to the internet 24/7, so when the signal from the cell tower went out, no one was aware of the planes, and it was treated like a normal outage. When someone heard about the planes via a call from home, several people rushed over to a nearby gym that had TV sets, and then rushed back to tell the rest of us what had happened. By 11 AM, we were all sent home both because nobody was doing any work anyway, and because our management was concerned that the next plane strike would be (for some unaccountable reason) on our office building in Bedminster, NJ. I spent the rest of the day calling around and driving around trying to ascertain if all of my friends who worked in New York were okay (they were), and did not actually see the horrifying videos until the evening. One of my friends was on the last PATH train that pulled into the station and was immediately evacuated onto the street. Another worked in one of the buildings across the street from which they could see the people jumping. Even now, living in another part of the country, I still feel that there were two 9/11 experiences -- that of the people who watched a national tragedy unfold on television, and that of the people in the local area who experienced it in person.

Last year, for the 10th anniversary, I was asked by an artist friend to create a piece and write a comment for a tribute website. Here is a link to that website: http://bobbimastrangelo.com/MyNews/?p=1483
Rather than write something about the day the Towers fell, which everyone was doing, I decided to write about the first time I ever saw them, which was when they were still under construction. As magnificent as they looked from afar, there was never anything like coming upon those enormous structures at ground level.

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home