This page has moved to a new address.

How to Use Tags to Improve Sales on Etsy

Bead Lovers Korner: How to Use Tags to Improve Sales on Etsy

Sunday, January 27, 2013

How to Use Tags to Improve Sales on Etsy

European Bead Bangle for Mom or Mom Jewelry?
I just want to share with you what I have discovered about Etsy Tags because it seems to be making a big difference on how often my items are being found, viewed and favored. More importantly my revenue has increased significantly compared to January 2012!

The tag is a term used to describe and identify your items to make them relevant to customer searches. You can use single words or common phrases as long as they are relevant to the item. Be sure to read the Etsy Do's and Don'ts to make sure you use correct phrases.

OK everyone has read all of this, I am sure, but the light bulb went off for me a few weeks ago when I saw what was coming up in my Etsy Stats.


Addicted to Etsy Shop Stats
I don't remember specifically which term it was but it was something generic like "crimp beads" or "horse clasp" and I realized that I had everything tagged by what I thought, not what customers were actually looking for.


Etsy Search Drop Down
Then I began the arduous task of double checking all of the tags on my items and comparing them to terms found in the Etsy Search Drop Down. Thinking like a customer, taking out words I used previously that did not appear, finding and adding terms that customers are actually searching for. 

The increase in views, favorites and orders has been phenomenal. My orders have increased by 60%!! Of course you also need to have great photos and good descriptions, so that when you come up in a search customers are compelled to click on your item. For more on photography check out my previous Blog Post "How to Take Pictures"

I hope this helps to unravel the mystery of getting found on Etsy!!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At January 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful information! This really makes it easier to understand:) Thank you for sharing! xoxox!

 
At January 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Miss Val's Creations said...

Thank you for the tips! I just started posting on Etsy a month ago so I am getting used to this relevancy thing!

 
At February 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM , Anonymous Seventy1Percent said...

Great reminders! I haven't done the actual search drop down on etsy in awhile so I've added it to my to do list. Congrats on your rise in views! That is amazing news!

 
At March 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM , Anonymous Lisa said...

This makes total sense. I've been selling on Etsy only since the summer of 2012 and my sales are very low. I contributed this to my tags as I did not know how to use them correctly. This is valuable knowledge. Hope my sales increase too!

 
At June 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM , Anonymous suzanne said...

thanks I like the plain English for this complicated task!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home