This page has moved to a new address.

Happy Memorial Day - Honoring this Day with Beads!

Bead Lovers Korner: Happy Memorial Day - Honoring this Day with Beads!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day - Honoring this Day with Beads!

Landmark Bead United States Flag

I decided to look up some info about Memorial Day for this post, and I really don't recall learning this tidbit of info in school. This holiday began after the Civil War and was originally called Decoration Day, started by freedmen (former slaves) to honor the Union soldiers who died in the Civil War. After World War I it included all Military Soldiers who died while in service to the country.  

Carlo Biagi Military Beads
 Today a lot of people have the day off from work, go to the beach, the lake, have a cook out, drink beer and visit with family. There are various memorial services held by VFW or other organizations, and some people just go to the cemetary and put flowers on loved ones graves.

This is my remembrance of those fallen in battle: Union Soldiers, all Military who have paid the price of freedom here in the United States of America!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Blogger My Inspired Reality said...

Thank you for stopping by so that I could find you. Wonderful post, we all owe so much to the people who protect us:)

 
At June 1, 2011 at 8:47 PM , Blogger Kelly Warren said...

Interesting history lesson! I think most people believe it started after WWII! I know I did! Thanks for stopping in for an anniversary wish!

 

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home